Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Young Democrats Taking Over Queens, NY and the World

I went last night to my first Queens County Young Democrats meeting. The club is a chapter of the strong Young Democrats of America. I had joined the club a year ago but had never had the time to go to a meeting. Boy was I glad I did- at the ripe old age of 31, I was so impressed with the energy, passion, and drive of the young people of this club, led by Matthew Silverstein and Costa Constantinides, the latter of whom is running for City Council in Astoria.

It was a joint meeting with the Queens Labor Caucus, another up-and-coming group led by Mike Corbett of the Teamsters. We talked about national politics, of course, including the New Hampshire Primary, getting results via web every 15 minutes throughout the meeting (Now that's my kind of Democratic Club meeting!). We also talked about how to make Queens "True Blue" in '08 and some cool upcoming events: a bowling party January 26th, a dinner meeting February 12th, a celebrity bartender night Feb. 25th, and a Sing for Solidarity Karaoke night March 19th.

Things are really happening with these guys. Glad I joined them!

No comments: