Sunday, April 13, 2008

NYSUT Convention a Great Reminder of my Teaching Roots

This past weekend, I attended NYSUT's annual convention of teachers and support professionals from all over New York State. As a math teacher currently on a leave of absence, I was able to attend as a delegate, among many representing UFT at the convention.

Highlights included:

  • Hearing Tom Chapin perform live his new parody "Not on the Test".
  • Hearing David Paterson speak for the first time as Governor on New York.
  • Learning officially of Randi Weingarten's candidacy for AFT President.
  • Being surrounded by hundreds of teachers who work day after day at improving the lives of their students.
It made me miss being a teacher, but it reinvigorated me in my early quest to serve the city as a Councilperson.

No comments: