Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My First Club Speech Ever!

Last night I had the great pleasure of being the featured speaker at The LGBT Queens Democrats Club, led by my new friend and UFT brother Daniel Dromm. Danny, also running for City Council in the Jackson Heights area of Queens, was kind enough to invite me to speak, and the entire club was friendly, warm and welcoming, from all of their members to their president, Bruce.

My wife was kind enough to come as well and film much of the meeting, and we'll be posting excerpts later. I was a little nervous at first, but mostly very excited. I began by giving a brief bio of myself, from my days at Hunter High School, which featured a 10%+ Club for LGBT kids and their friends, to my college graduation when my best friend came out to me, to my current family, where even though I'm a straight married guy, because I'm a stepfather, my daughter Charlotte has 2 daddies.

I reviewed the 4 major areas of my platform, and then we had a group conversation about issues pertaining to the LGBT community such as marriage equality and homeless NYC LGBT youth. It was not only fun and interesting for me, but truly enlightening- and I look forward to continuing to work with the members and leadership of the club throughout my candidacy and hopefully my term in the Council. Thanks again to Danny for inviting me and making me feel so welcome!

1 comment:

Gary Paul Gilbert said...

You did a great job!

Gary Paul Gilbert